Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Daddy's Log - Couple Of Love Birds

I was laying around with Ruth and looked up and noticed our engagement photo hanging on the wall. Taken in 2003. A photo of a 23 year old guy and a 22 year old lady up on the wall appearing to look down on Ruth.

More than 11 years ago. We had no idea what life had in store for us as we posed for that photo on the Ohio State Campus.

When I proposed to Crystal I knew I was choosing to marry a woman who, by choice, did not want kids. I remember praying through the decision carefully, wondering if having kids was a requirement for me. I always wanted kids. Lots of kids. But at 23, not knowing what plans God had in store, I chose to marry Crystal accepting that it may never happen.

The way we anticipated life going when we were 23 looked nothing like things actually happened. God didn't want us to have kids.  He knew we weren't ready yet.

During those 11 years much changed. We formed a family that was built with love and by choice to be a family.  Not always by birth, but ALWAYS by love.

I knew I loved Crystal in 2003. But I will admit that I didn't know we had enough love in us to build the family we have. I guess that is the thing, we didn't have enough love. God certainly had plenty for us to share.

I love you Crystal and I love the kids God has given to us, Falecia, Lanay, Dylan and Ruth.

No comments:

Post a Comment